: unusual or extreme in a way that attracts attention
: very attractive especially in an unusual or interesting way
: attracting attention or notice through unusual or conspicuous qualities <a place of striking beauty>
— strik·ing·ly adverb
Examples of STRIKING
- The poverty of the city is striking.
- There is a striking resemblance between the girls.
- an actress known for her striking good looks
First Known Use of STRIKING
Related to STRIKING
- arresting, bodacious, bold, brilliant, catchy, commanding, conspicuous, dramatic, emphatic, eye-catching, flamboyant, grabby, kenspeckle [chiefly Scottish], marked, noisy, prominent, pronounced, remarkable, showy, splashy, noticeable
- inconspicuous, unemphatic, unflamboyant, unnoticeable, unobtrusive, unremarkable, unshowy
Learn More About STRIKING
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up striking? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).